Maybe I differ from some folks in this way: I don't want to be a songwriter. I just want to write songs. From the earliest days of interest in music (I don't come from a particularly musical background) that's all that interested me.

I think if my creative interest had been in photography or sculpture or painting (I dabbled in all three) I would think the same way. Mostly, I write. Sometimes I write songs. I wouldn't display (or even finish) a painting or sculpture that wasn't pleasing to me, therefor nobody else is likely to see it. I won't finish a song that isn't pleasing to me either. I don't think I've ever written a genuinely "bad" song (with this mind-set). I've simply written a lot of songs that no longer appeal to me. And a fair number that I just can't remember how they go.

I'd kinda liked to have been better organized over the years. A lot of good lines have blown out of the car-window because I was too lazy, unprepared, or otherwise-occupied to capture them. But in the grand scheme of things, I feel lucky just to have "thought" the thing. Does the world need a permanent record?

And though I also have that child-like propensity to show off a work I am happy with or proud of...there was a guy on a former music sharing website where I was active who put it this way. "I make the music I want to hear because I get tired of waiting for other people to do it."

I'm kinda burned out on song-writing at the moment. I'm not really even very sad about it. My "musical interest" now is more to the "music" side of things. There isn't enough money, accolades, or satisfaction to convince me to write a song I don't want to write. I'm not a song-writer. I just write songs.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground