Well thank you very very much for the replies I have received both from Andrew and Forum members. You are right it possibly is old school. I have been recording midi files since 2005 using Power tracks and then Real Band starting in 2016. I have always used the method of recording first then rendering not knowing I could straight render the midi file. What did confuse me is I have Power Tracks and BiaB and Real Band 2016 on a tower (problem discussed is on a laptop with Windows 7) the tower runs XL and recording works on XL but not with the laptop running Windows 7.
Now my problem is solved. I have tested straight rendering a midi file to wave and of course it does work as you have said.
The only thing I have not tested is, that if I adjust the volume of some instruments will that adjustment be carried through to the rendered wave file. I will test that later.
Disappointingly though I did not get this information as a reply from PG Music Support. I am glad that I signed up for the Forum. Many regards to those concerned. Regards Norm