Dear 'BlueAttitude' & Ms. Spruit...

As I was listening (closely, that is! smile ), to The Beacon, into my mind came the word, 'mystical', the meaning of which a dictionary explains as 'spiritually significant, or symbolic'. The music was mostly responsible for that thought occuring to me, as it has kind of a rising and falling feel to it, like waves in the ocean advancing on, and receding from the shore. The unresolved aura of the strings arrangement contributed to the mystical mood, too.

But it was the lyrics that more powerfully summoned the 'mystical' feel I mentioned. They describe the disorienting sense of being lost and a search for the way out of the darkness:

"Beacons light
Shine on and fight
Don't leave our ship to the night"

Those are compelling words, because, after all, aren't the lives of all of us simply wayward journeys up and down paths that lead us sometimes into darkness, and at other times point us toward 'the light'? And yet, the brisk 3/4 time is uplifting in a quiet way. Maybe that's because, for me, at least, waltz time has always had an upbeat feel that has never failed to brighten my mood (I could listen forever to the late Toots Thieleman performing Bluesette smile .)

I think The Beacon sets a mood of longing and yearning for a 'safe harbor' for the soul that makes it a entrancing, meditative listening experience.

LOREN/'bluage'

Last edited by bluage; 04/14/20 10:22 PM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".