Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
If you pick the right instruments and talent you can have a great song? Well, that just got answered with a big "Yes!"

Talk about haunting. It plays with your emotions. I love it!

Great job!

Thanks, Caaron! It was a fun project for us, happy you liked it.

Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear 'BlueAttitude' & Ms. Spruit...

As I was listening (closely, that is! smile ), to The Beacon, into my mind came the word, 'mystical', the meaning of which a dictionary explains as 'spiritually significant, or symbolic'. The music was mostly responsible for that thought occuring to me, as it has kind of a rising and falling feel to it, like waves in the ocean advancing on, and receding from the shore. The unresolved aura of the strings arrangement contributed to the mystical mood, too.

But it was the lyrics that more powerfully summoned the 'mystical' feel I mentioned. They describe the disorienting sense of being lost and a search for the way out of the darkness:

"Beacons light
Shine on and fight
Don't leave our ship to the night"

Those are compelling words, because, after all, aren't the lives of all of us simply wayward journeys up and down paths that lead us sometimes into darkness, and at other times point us toward 'the light'? And yet, the brisk 3/4 time is uplifting in a quiet way. Maybe that's because, for me, at least, waltz time has always had an upbeat feel that has never failed to brighten my mood (I could listen forever to the late Toots Thieleman performing Bluesette smile .)

I think The Beacon sets a mood of longing and yearning for a 'safe harbor' for the soul that makes it a entrancing, meditative listening experience.

LOREN/'bluage'

Man, you write the best reviews! Thanks, Loren smile

Originally Posted By: rayc
This if great but the 1st vocal not is way too aggressive and slightly buried at the same time - it's a bit the same after the solo.
Excellent arrangement and playing/singing.
That vocal reverb separates it a little.
Sweet solo tone!

I'll get back to this song at some point to tweak the mix, I always do. And when I do I'll check what you mentioned about the vocal mix and reverb.

Thanks, Ray, I always appreciate that kind of feedback smile

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Sounds awesome Dave!

Great production and mix with your signature guitar excellence!

smile

Great to see you back here, David! Thanks, man!

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
This song sounds like it's been around for ages, getting a fresh treatment just now..,that old "folk" waltz-time vibe electrified and bandified. An absolute pleasure to listen to.

Happy you liked this one, Tang.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
New Age Viking Blues?

Dave & Chris,

Nice job on this tune. Piano is the king. Guitar rocks at 1:20 and getting nice and wild toward the end. One of the more aggressive drums I have heard in your tunes (second half of the song), but it works very well.

I have heard it first day it was posted, sorry for turtle response. On good note, I got to hear it twice and I actually liked it better on the second round. You know, it is like a soup, it always tastes better on the second day smile

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

"New Age Viking Blues", I like that!

Thank's Misha!