Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

The first time Janice heard this she teared up immediately. Tribute songs flow when such a luminary passes but we cannot imagine a more moving one than this. The lyric and the arrangement so artfully and passionately capture the spirit of the man. And they also capture the spirit of the man who wrote and produced this song and how John influenced him initially and later in his life.

We already mentioned the arrangement (as have others) but it remarkably captures the essence of so many of his songs with instrumentation...most notably the build.

This truly deserves to be heard and loved by many.

J&B

PS: I (Bud) was 25 and it was 1971 and my group of friends were prone to hang out at the local record store. And it was there I first saw his first album. I don't recall why I bought it but I was hooked from the get go and remain so.

To this day I can't imagine an album with more great songs on it. The bar was raised so high with it.

Thanks for such nice comments. It is especially nice coming from someone who was a fan from the get-go. That first record has no equal...

Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
This is a lovely song Floyd. I'm not familiar enough with John Prine to appreciate all the nuances and nods in your song but I really enjoyed your performance.
Somehow, John Prine is one songwriter that I missed on my trip through music but you and Bob have stoked my interest, and, thanks to Spotify, I have his whole catalogue to explore.
Love your background preamble too.
Cheers,
Mike

Thanks, Mike. If I can be a part of someone taking the time to listen to Prine's work, that is go enough for me. As I have said many times through this thread (and through my lifetime) that 1st record is really the one to hear. It is a masterpiece. (The rest of his catalog pales in comparison - anyone's would..)