Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
JohnJohnJohn

I hear you. One of my first annoyances with BIAB was that tracks are too "liquid". However I strongly feel that even if the feature of "bar freeze" arrives, it would not sound smooth. Most likely it would sound "pieced". Not because of programming, but because of what Real Tracks are - audio... I do fear that they would sound abrupt as often happens with "change RT at the bar" option. But what I described, should take care of roughness.

Your suggestion seems more user friendly., but in essence bar freeze as you describe would create new tracks in the background and automate the process for the user... but will have significantly less control of what you are actually seeing and doing versus what I described above. Developers... feel free to cut me short if I am wrong.

As per topic, I do feel that expanding / rethinking mixer is the right way to go. If it is done right, a bar freeze as you (JJJ) described can be done much easier, by automating what is already in place - Creating multiple generations in background and visually displaying it as a single track of which parts can be frozen. Similar to "track folders" where you visually see it as a single track that contains several clips and has master control (volume, fx etc.) over the whole "folder".

Expanding mixer would also solve major requests such as dedicated 16 channels of MIDI and just adding, trying out / comparing various real tracks side by side without going through export/import to DAW.

I really like your idea but I worry that expanding the mixer is a complex task that they will attempt and then 3 years from now we will still be waiting for it to be finished. I guess the same risk exists for my bar-by-bar suggestion.

I have mostly changed my workflow to something like this,

- finish my song
- save a copy of my song
- in the copy replace all tracks with my solo RealTrack, generate and freeze
- export tracks from main song to WAVs
- export tracks from copy song to WAVs
- bring all tracks into DAW and comp the solo tracks until I get what I want