Originally Posted By: saxgentleman67

Thanks Tony. I guess it just seems strange and slow to input a bass or piano part into a computer rather than just playing it on a keyboard to put it in.

If your keyboard is a MIDI controller or if it has a MIDI out then you can play your keyboard into a computer. For example select a track in your DAW and assign a bass sound to it. Then play a bass part on your keyboard and have it go to that computer bass track. You have just recorded a bass track by using your keyboard. It really isn't that hard.

I havn't actually started in on Real Band yet. So do you think that Cakewalk is easier to use or better in some way?

No learn RealBand first then move on if you need something different. Many use RealBand as their only DAW.

I should mention that I am looking at doing some fairly simple music. Piano, Bass, with contemporary grooves and occasionally some layers of other stuff.

Also, as far as understanding musical sound are there any resources you would suggest, books, videos, courses, etc? I have had courses in arranging at the college level, but never anything to do with music production, which seems to be a lot more involved and closer to being a studio engineer or something.

I would suggest that you start with PGMusic's videos to learn all about the software that you already have. Be sure to take baby steps and don't try to learn everything all at once. This stuff isn't that hard if you take it slow.

I just posted a selfie and all of the responses were get well soon!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware