Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
In the RealTracks Picker, if I filter for "country" I get 859, if I filter for jazz I get 899, and if I filter for Pop I get 899. "western" gives me 46.

To be honest, this numbers game blurs the discussion somewhat. There are no 899 different jazz styles, meaning a different feel, drive, rhythm. Most styles share the same bass or drum lines, piano or guitar chords. There are not even 30 different bass or drum styles in Jazz realtracks. adding a vibraphone doesn’t change the feel, rhythm, drive... The user has a good point, imo.

Essential is that -regardless if you’re a country or jazz or pop lover- the styles cover a lot of variety: modern country, old fashioned stuff, waltzes.... in jazz also: bebop, dixie, gypsy, today’s jazz. And if I speak for jazz, styles mostly cover jazz up to 1955. Modern jazz is not present, Unless you confuse it with fusion or smooth jazz.

So, I think there is a point made here. And the number of styles running in the hundreds....? If we made a difference between basic style (rhythm section, bass and drums) we would have more honest figures: 30 different styles with 20 variations for each, or something like that.

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com