In Band-in-a-Box you can use the F5 settings to change tempo or instrument volume on any bar of a song.

In the screen shot below the top highlight is around the tempo choices while the bottom highlight is around the "change all instruments volume" selection. Changes takes effect at the beginning of the bar and remain until a new change is entered at a new bar.

You can (A) enter a new beats per minute (bpm) number into the top tempo selection or (B) change the tempo by a percentage ranging from -90 to 100. A setting of 100 percent doubles the original tempo, 0 returns to the original tempo while -50 slows the original tempo by half.

All instruments "change by" opens a text box where you can raise or lower the volume level of all instruments. The text box accepts entries between -127 to 127 with 0 equal to normal. Alternatively, apply volume changes to individual instruments.

I frequently use a change tempo setting to improve the ebb and flow of a song. A change of just a few bpm in a verse can add a very human feel while the percentage change is great for adding dramatic pauses at the end of a verse or chorus.

Subtle volume changes in instrument tracks can highlight each track during different parts of a song. Let the Soloist shine when it's their turn but when you raise the volume on one track lower the volume on the other tracks so the overall volume level doesn't change.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (78.91 KB, 64 downloads)
F5 Settings Dialog Top highlight is tempo. Bottom highlight is volume.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home