I've happily posted works on the internet without any thought to officially registered copyright, membership in PRO's, formal publishing or any other such stuff above my place in the music business. Up to me, I'd continue to do so happily.

Lately, I've gone back to Fiverr looking for people to play a lead instrument on a chordal arrangement made in BIAB. I asked for something "melodic". Now, I know they give rights to commercial use and it is considered a "work for hire"...but this is about right and wrong, and not about "rights".

What if what they come up with is really uniquely "melodic" in the sense that it becomes "the song"? What if it is so coherent and beautiful that it could stand alone even without my "backing"? I truly hope that happens, and that it is not simply joining the harmony....if that makes sense.

There is, to my mind, a continuum between playing along and composing within limits where a collaborator/musician affects the outcome to such a degree that he/she ought to be considered a co-writer.

While I ponder that, I think I need to prepare for such contingencies to share in a more concrete "business" way not just credit but ownership.

But I don't have a clue how, even if I can figure out "when".

What do I need to do? If it's good advice, I might even start doing it for myself (and my back catalogue and collaborations).

Last edited by Tangmo; 05/27/20 02:22 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground