Hey Buttrey

I started jazz guitar in my twenties, couldn’t read harmony, was playing rock, wave, punk for years. It’s only when I started practicing chords, scales, pentatonics, arpeggios in all keys that my playing really took off. I used the Jerry Bergonzi books one and two, did all exercises and in all keys.

Though it was not fun to do the exercises, in jazz classes and jams, I really started to be able to play good.

When I switched to piano a few years ago, I thought I didn’t need to practice everything in all keys, the piano having a more logical lay-out than guitar. I just played tunes and try to improvise. I already “know” all the scales from my guitar. But when I play, I struggle. The things I play on my Youtube and Soundcloud are testimony to that. And I got so frustrated with my playing.

So, a few weeks ago, I started to do 12 key exercises again. I noticed how difficult It was to play fluently.... so, I think there lies my problem: I have to think all the time, it’s not automatic, it’s not a reflex yet.

The more I practice my scales, arps, pentatonics in every key and on every chord, the more I feel free when playing. As Lambada remarked and

Some people just want to play some tunes. In that case, you could do without 12 key playing, but if you want to play a lot of tunes, sit in on jams or with bands.... 12 key playing is super important. And it will free up your playing.

Have fun.... and practice.:))

Last edited by Dzjang; 05/30/20 12:58 AM.

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com