There are many sounds be it with bass or any instrument that are in a track. Some of these are wanted by some, less so by others. Some of these sound fine even really good when leaving all settings as recorded.

However, once EQ has been applied the balance of the Note verses the (let’s say fret squeak) is altered. This can have the effect of a really loud squeak (or whatever), way louder than is natural. My point is this is often easily resolved using “Spectral Editing”. Usually the offending noise is very visible in the spectral editing tool. It is also a simple step to bring down the level of the offending noise to once again make it sound natural.

Using Spectral Editing one can reduce only the offending noise. To try and use EQ to remove the noise also usually changes the tone of the entire sound. (Often destroying the EQ initially applied). Many people are unaware of spectral editing which is really a great tool to correct these issues.

There are many ways to address most situations. There are also almost as many desired outcomes as there are folks to create them. What was the old saying “one mans meat is another mans poison”.

Just my thoughts.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1