This topic is partly about learning to play, but maybe more about writing, so posting it here. It's about writing interesting solos (and riffs). Those may be two different things, so I can split this topic up if needed.

So here's the deal - I'm trying to write better solos and also add more interesting and complex riffs to my songs. My method is normally to use a MIDI keyboard and play the midi through into BIAB after choosing the style, realtracks and chord progression. I can play notes that fit with the chords, but it's just a bit slow and often boring, and I find myself often "stuck" using the same pattern and often playing more of a melody that follows the chords than a solo, which sort of complements them.

In an effort to find examples of solos I tried the Soloist feature in BIAB to see what would fit with my song, and some customized BIAB imported songs for comparison. It was somewhat helpful to get a sense of the scale notes and the timings that would fit and definitely had a lot more action than my own solos - and sometimes too much! I was wondering if anyone else has tried the Soloist feature or anything similar in BIAB to do the same sort of thing.

I know that a lot of people learn by emulating great performers and practicing their styles and their performances on songs, but I'm not at that skill level yet - for example emulating Albert Collins on guitar - but I'm trying.

So I'd really like to hear what worked for people here which enabled you to create solos in your own songs - I've heard some really great solo work here in the User Showcase forum.

If you need more specifics let me know.

Last edited by EdZ314; 06/01/20 06:37 PM.

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts