Many brass, woodwinds, and orchestral VSTis us the Mod wheel (CC1) for expression. Expression changes the volume setting based on the main volume (CC7). If CC7 is set to 127, the loudest setting, then the expression (it can be either a Mod wheel, foot pedal, or and other assignable MIDI like a slider or knob) range is from 0 - 127, i.e. no volume to max volume.

But if CC7 is set to say 90 then although the expression range is still from 0 - 127 the volume at 127 is set by the CC7 volume. In other words in this example an expression value of 127 is equal to the CC7 value of 90.

The reason for expression. If you need to raise the track volume and you used CC7 to change the volume you would need to raise each and every volume node. If you used expression for volume changes then all you need to do is to raise the CC7 volume, which should be a straight line through out the track, and the expression nodes will follow proportionally. Much easier and faster.

Apparently BBC Symphony Orchestra Free Version is not influenced by velocity; I don't know for sure as I am still waiting for mine. I do know that the sounds are one layer each so no matter what the velocity is the sound will be the same. In multi layer sounds one will get a slightly different tonal quality with each velocity range. For instance a velocity range of 0-50 may yield a soft sound with soft transients and a 100-127 range would yield a louder sound with many hard transients. This of a trumpet played softly then very loudly.

I hope this makes some sense.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware