When it comes to expensive Kontakt instruments I can understand why the cost. By the time samples are made and set correctly then put into Kontakt and scripts written. Most good Kontakt libraries have many articulations that need to be set correctly. That all takes incredible resources.

However, if you have a need it can be fun to create your own instruments.

For example, I needed a flute for a part and didn’t have a suitable one. I downloaded a free sample of a nice flute and spread it across the key range I wanted. Added a flexible start point for the sample to get breath or not based on velocity. Added vibrato based on note length also a note release taken from the end of the sample. It sounds good for my use. Total cost zero dollars. Time to set it up about 15 minutes not including finding the sample (but I know where to find some now).

Years ago I set up my Telecaster in Dimension Pro mainly as an exercise in learn SFZ. I was ok but I would like it better. I pulled the samples (not complete) into Kontakt. Then as a scripting exercise setup a simulated round robin (that way it sounds like many more samples, pressing the same note multiple times results in different samples being played). Set up some effects. Is it any good. Well for some stuff I like it more than bought guitars (AmpleSound or Kontakt) I own. But it does not have all the articulations of the pro made stuff.

There are ways to get what you want if you are prepared to put the effort in. A real good example of that is Pipeline who sees a need then creates something to fill the need. From my perspective Pipeline gets more joy out of the fixes made than actually using them. It is satisfying to fill a need.

My opinion Tony.

Last edited by Teunis; 06/09/20 11:46 AM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1