Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
Re BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover, I can't get the velocity to make a difference to the sound.
Whether the velocity is at 127 or 0 the volume is the same.
Is this a restriction of the free version or I am being dumb?
Mike

The velocity is NOT restricted in the free version. It appears to be fully functional as needed. Here is illustration of my "velocity sensitive" keyboard for a section of soft and hard keystrokes. But has been mentioned, there is no impact to what you hear from velocity since there is only a single level. I guess that may be considered a limitation. crazy Therefore if you want loader or softer you need to use the mod wheel which does impact volume?

I think the guys have covered this pretty well. grin

Dan is correct. Velocity not only does not change volume it also does not change timbre,i.e. it is the same sound regardless of velocity or volume. The mod wheel will slightly adjust the volume via expression, CC11. Note this is generally the rule for all free or entry level sound sources.

If one is looking for large volume changes, crescendos, or diminuendos using a DAW is the best option.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware