Originally Posted By: Funkifized
Well, I'm not necessarily thinking just melody. One of the big things I'm trying to do with MIDI is to write horn charts in Real Band. Someone posted a soft synth that does fantastic synth sounds of horns, and as far as I can tell, the difference in these is the articulations. I forget which one it was, but it seemed to be a VST, having it's own sound editor. You could pick a note and apply a sound effect like sforzando, or vibrato at the end of longer notes, etc.

I wasn't sure how it worked in the VST and didn't want to spend the money on the plug-in until I'm sure how it works.

It just seems as though I should be able to pick, say, a trumpet part, and apply a filter to all of the notes in that part that change the velocity of each note to be a little higher at the outset of the note, like a player blowing the note into the horn. Then apply a filter that sets the velocity to increase for longer duration notes, and/or add vibrato with velocities on longer notes.

Velocity has no bearing on how long the note is held. Velocity adjusts the initial attack and sound of the instrument. If you have only a one layer sound there will be no change in the initial note attack or sound. But if it has a number of layers then different velocity levels will change the initial attack and sound. For instance say a trumpet sound has 5 layers. A low velocity will give a soft attack and sound while a high velocity will give a loud trumpet blast and sound.

Sforzando, vibrato, and other articulations are controlled by MIDI CCs or key switches. Many times the mod wheel (CC1) will control expression (volume after the initial volume CC7 is set) in horns, woodwinds and strings. This will handle all of your volume changes. Vibrato is controlled by other CCs. Most of the good sound sources have a MIDI learn where you click on MIDI learn and move a slider or knob and from then on that slider or knob will control vibrato. In the really good sound sources you can preset the amount of vibrato and how long into the note the vibrato will start.

Originally Posted By: Funkifized
Is there any such way to apply such "preset" horn articulations to MIDI notes, or if there isn't a way to do this, why isn't there? Surely someone has thought of this concept before.

BTW, the Indiginus Blue Street Horns is the VST that I'm referring to. How can I get those sounds into Real Band, or into my BIAB melody track? https://indiginus.com/blue_street.html

The horn articulations you mentioned are accomplish by key switches. Say press a C1 note to get Sforzando or a C#1 to get legato, etc. The better the sound source the more key switch articulations and control you will get.

Note that the blue-steel requires the full version of Kontakt.

I hope that helps and good luck.

If you need help feel free to PM me.

I just posted a selfie and all of the responses were get well soon!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware