My hearing issues started 40 years ago. Too many concerts and festivals in the 60's and 70's. Too many band years. Too much stupid behavior using power equipment sans good hearing protection. An audiologist told me 9 years ago told me that my hearing loss was too profound in the upper frequencies to correct or even enhance. I got the impression she had been out of school for about 50 years or so smile

I'm stubborn so I sought out and eventually found an outstanding audiologist eight years ago. She's young, research oriented and on the cusp of technology. She was fascinated by my understanding of EQ, compression, etc. Together we worked out three custom programs for my aids. She's sorta taken me on as a research project! One of those three is just for mixing. I won't go into the details of it but I will say she changed my life. I hear birds, crickets, tree frogs, leaves crushing beneath my mountain bike tires AND I hear cymbals, rides, hi-hats well enough to mix. Without the aids I can't hear music well enough to bother turning it on and I would have to use close captioning on tv. So with that technology and, of course, Janice's golden ears (she can hear a humming bird peep when inside the house with the windows closed) I can mix, master and enjoy so many more things.

I only suggest that if you have a deficiency don't go cheap trying to improve it. Mail order aids and even aids from an audiologist who doesn't regularly work closely with you are at best minimally effective and at worst damn irritating.

Pardon the ramble.

Bud