Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Herb,

A fun song. The chorus flows well.

You've assembled the right BAND for it. Nice to see someone use the BIAB steel drums (just seen a couple of songs on the Showcase use 'em). That bass is certainly nice.

The guitars are mixed kind of hot and high (eq) and on my speakers they dominate the mix, not allowing the other elements of your well-chosen band share the spotlight. The vocal (well sung) is slightly higher-eq, as well. The steel drums and the organ get a bit lost. Not sure I ever heard the Djembe. It might not matter on cheap speakers, I suppose. I listened several times (trying to pick out the instruments) and my ears got fatigued quickly from the high-end.

Nice to see a good-natured song come out of the chaos of corona. A good, positive use of the situation.

NEW MIX

So... I realized it when I listened a few times on the cloud.... And... yep, I rushed it a bit to get it out the door.

I went back...dropped out the acoustic guitars to clean it up, removed the less than useless Dejimbe, pulled the EQ down a bit..... enveloped the steel drums, bumped the B3, flattened the curve and dropped the highs a bit on the guitars.... and fixed a few vocal things .....

Yep... it was fun putting this together. Regarding the bass.... I had a bass player ask me ... Man, who is playing that Bass? It's pretty dang hot huh? Give me your take on the new mix. And thanks as always for listening and your sharp ears on the mix. As usual, you hit it on the head just about every time. Thanks

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.