Originally Posted By: paulpaul
Charlie
thanks for reply.

it is the preamp housing rhat is the problem. it is broke into approx 10 pieces , i have taped it up glued it(botch job im embarrassed) but when i am connected it is a bit hit and miss.

the circuit board inside isnt that secure so im thinking the connection misses occasionally.
the housing cant be repaired, its in a terrible state.

Anyway i found a replacement housing from sd and its 38 euro.
i will probably go for that.

another question
does the preamp affect the quality of the mic or is it just a mic booster.

once again thanks

<< It is the preamp housing that is the problem. >>

I'm guessing you are right about that. That it works at all speaks well for the quality of the product.

<< The circuit board inside isn't that secure so I'm thinking the connection misses occasionally. >>

This is also likely true and there could be cracks in the circuit board as well but they should be easily repairable.

<< Anyway I found a replacement housing from SD and its 38 euro. >>

That sounds like a bargain and worth the effort. If you attempt the repair yourself, take photos of everything as you open up and disassemble the unit. I also draw block and wiring diagrams along the way. Also compare the new housing with the damaged housing to make sure they've provided the correct model and version and that all the holes are the correct size and in the correct place and that every opening is where it's supposed to be...

<< Another question: Does the preamp affect the quality of the mic or is it just a mic booster? >>

Yes, preamps will affect the sound of the microphone. Any microphone and every microphone. Hopefully for the better and with your SD, that's likely the case. There will be subtle differences between different mics and different brands of mics as well as different preamps. In most uses, a preamp will improve the sound of an inexpensive microphone making mic preamps an important part of the recording chain in home studios.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.