Originally Posted By: alan S.

@ Dzjang. Your styles seem like they're a good answer to some of the issues. The other thing I'd say is that modern jazz is also about breaking away from standard forms and importing a lot of classical music influences. Its also about a more collective band music with more interaction, dynamic variation, motivic ideas over a longer duration and modulations within the overall metre. etc That's hard to do convincing ly in midi without:

a) lot of different sub styles and changes but I think its worth the effort nonetheless.

b) patterns sounding like they're less. short, busy, choppy and block chordy. To that end patterns with more 8 bar sequences in the bar masks would be the way to go or supertracks/teal tracks with the same aim.

Alan

Thx, my aim was less ambitious, focusing on modern straight eights or sixteenth triplets, incorporating the influence of rnb and folk music, like McBride, Kenny Garrett, Redman, Scofield, Jarrett... refer to.

Nevertheless, most styles, real or midi have a limited set of patterns, which causes them to quickly go boring. If you take the trouble of making tens of variations, midi styles can be really inspiring. If you would want the same complexity and choice in realstyles, you’d need more than ten hrs of material for each instrument. It would make rendering a song take longer than the song is.

Midi styles are (potentially) rhythmically complex with more than 120 ticks per beat. Combining straight parts with triplets, four over 3/4, 10 over 4/4 and so on, are quite possible.

Software like melodyne will eventually make transposing realstyles to all kinds of different harmonies possible. But for now, if they only made the right algorithms for the midi-styles, we wouldn’t have the bass play natural 9 ths on altered chords any longer, and it wouldn’t put a huge load on your cpu either.

Let’s keep asking PGMUSIC to make Biab harmoniclly better.

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com