Originally Posted By: goofeyfoot
So I believe that I need ASIO on both ends of the enterprise.

You keep missing this point Michael. No you don't unless you're doing live recording and by live I mean you're listening to Biab in headphones while you're recording a midi synth. A hardware synth is no problem, it's a midi synth. The whole reason Steinberg invented ASIO in the first place was for live midi recording.

If you don't know already, I'm talking about you've got some audio tracks laid down and want to add some midi tracks. You grab a midi keyboard and use it to control a softsynth like Sampletank or Kontakt or even the standard Coyote Wavetable Biab ships with.

Playing a softsynth live using MME causes horrendous latency like a half a second. You can't play and record something if you're hearing it a half second behind the audio tracks. ASIO reduces that latency down to 4 or 5 milliseconds which is roughly a buffer setting of 64, making it completely unnoticeable to the player.

If you're not doing live recording and all you're doing is mixing then nobody cares about latency and MME is fine. Switching to MME takes the strain off of your computer from using ASIO at that low buffer setting. The lower the setting the harder your CPU has to work and that's what causes the glitching. My point here is if you're not doing live recording while listening to Biab or RB you don't even need to bother installing the ASIO driver.

I've used lots of sound cards over the years and never found one that would not work with MME because it's universal on a Windows computer. If some say they have had problems with that I can't dispute it because I haven't tried everything out there but I have to doubt it very much. MME is just another version of WDM which is an older version of WASAPI (WAS for short). Regardless, they're all Window's Audio and should work with everything. If it doesn't then it's almost certainly something wrong with the system because somebody decided to tweak something and it messed up the audio.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.