Both...and in some pieces, both in turns in the same piece.

Vocals is the only "melody" instrument I have any measure of dexterity "playing". I'm going to use the definition of "melody" that refers to "tunes" for most of this explanation.

I've been submitted fully fleshed out musical backings and asked to come up with lyrics and vocal melodies. In those cases, the progression obviously came first and any melody I came up with was sussed out of those chords and movement. For me, that's by ear. The down side is/was--the melody that I "heard" is sometimes ruined when the chords don't go where I'd like to go. Sometimes I can change, and sometimes I can't (or just don't want to).

If I am writing from scratch with an acoustic, then ALWAYS it starts with a line or two of lyric WITH melody that influences the rest of the song. It'd be rare that I rely wholly on a "standard" progression, but rather I feel my way through chords that carry the melody. That melody is coming faster than a progression might come. In those instances, it's the melody that rules. The downside is--sometimes I can't find (or can't play) the chord I hear in my head and might be forced to go for a substitution.

So far, for me at least, with BIAB what happens more closely resembles the first of those where chords are king. This is especially true since my musical interests have shifted to expanding the palette of chords. What I aim for here is such movement of chords that are "almost" melodic all by themselves. It sort of resembles the nature of modern Jazz in that way, as well as some of the genres you mentioned.

There are still times I will write a progression in BIAB to fit a melody line. Sort of giving BIAB the role of my acoustic. I'm working on one now. But when it came to the chorus, I wanted a strong, interesting progression and I'll find a melody within it. So, when it's finished (if it ever is) melody will rule one part, and chords the other.

Last edited by Tangmo; 08/17/20 02:04 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground