Being mostly an instrumentalist, I have sometimes used BiaB's Melodist to generate ideas for me. This worked surprisingly well initially, but then I began to notice that the Melodist would often generate the same melodic motifs, which I quickly became tired of, so I don't use it anymore. I've gained more confidence in generating melodies that I actually like now, but I don't always input them into BiaB, preferring to use my DAW of choice, Cakewalk. Although I do like the notation editor that BiaB uses. It's fast and efficient, once you get the hang of it.

I tend to look at my compositions once the melodies have been set, and only then consider whether the piece can become a song. I consider the melody and just how likely lyrics can be adapted. If it's complex, perhaps not so much, but then I also tell myself there's no reason why the melody can't be simplified. This has helped a lot.

Now for lyrics, I have written only two songs where the songs were composed around the lyrics. But then I've written only three songs with lyrics, so . . . One might say the jury is still out in this matter. Nonetheless, even though I don't think of myself as a lyricist, I've found that it's not difficult for me to come up with something. My lyrics may not be high poetry, but they work, at least. The last tune i wrote lyrics for was the first one where I had to fit lyrics to an existing melody line. This ended up being a rather complex operation. I had to chart out emphasis, based on the melody, and then find the right words that would correspond to the correct emphasis . . . and make sense. It took a couple of tries, but I was able to arrive at a set of lyrics that worked. Again, not high poetry, but . . . Did I mention I'm not a lyricist?

Last edited by cooltouch; 08/21/20 02:46 AM.