Just a few sleepless pedantic points.

1. Though I took the OP to define "harmony" as a chord or a chord progression, that is not the be-all end-all definition of harmony.

2. Is counter-point harmony, or multiple melodies that blend?

3. In some periods/styles of classical music is there "melody" at all (if you define melody as a tune) or is it a collection of smaller melodic fragments that play together over time?

4. When a vocal band sings in harmony (picture the Eagles or CSN) oftentimes the melody (or lead melody?) is not so obvious. We might assume it's the highest note being sung at any one time, but is it always?

5. Is it still music when there is no obvious "melody" at all?

As far as song-writing goes (popular music--actual songs), clearly the most efficient method is lyrics, vocal melody, and chord progression all at the same time, line by line or section by section. That's certainly when I like it best. But if that's not what comes, then I have to do what I have to do to finish one that begins with an element or two "missing".

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground