I like to give other people presents on days when people might be tempted to give them to me. This one is for my daughter on my birthday. It features some snippets best understood in-family, and features the only toy she's had since toddlerhood--a stuffed doll she named after one of my oldest friends, to whom she took an immediate and unexpected shine.

In There

****** Song Summary *************
Title: In There

Key=D , Tempo 90, Length (m:s)=2:23
2 bar intro, 16 bar chorus, from bar 3 to bar 18. Repeat x3 choruses
Style is _LONESON.STY (Lone Son Acoustic Guitar Ballad)
RealTracks in style: ~2474:Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~2505:Piano, Electric, HeldChords 085
RealTracks in style: 2914:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Folky16thsBrent Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 2914:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Folky16thsBrent Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 3196:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopBalladBrent Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 3057:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking SongwriterFolkAltBassQuinn Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 1766:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop16Sync Ev 085

Started as a chord progression that sat for months without much else until I got busy with this. Vocals recorded in RB, and the project was mixed in Reaper. I usually spend a bit more time, but this is what I had when the deadline hit. Happy Birthday to me.

Melodyne didn't seem to do much pitch correction. Perhaps it didn't recognize what I was doing as actually musical. Perhaps I didn't use it correctly. Perhaps the demo expired mid-way.

I used two instances of compression on the vocals along with some EQ work and (hopefully) just a smidgeon of reverb. Basic effects on the other tracks and mastered with Ozone 8 Elements.

Lyrics:

I know my heart is in there
It's the very thing that keeps me alive.
Always pumps me up though sometimes beats me down
And pressurizes my whole insides
I know my mind is in there
As I pause on my pass by your room
And listen to you laughing, babbling to Boo
And singing him your own little tune.

I know my sunshine is in there
Because your dark eyes are so much filled with light
It warms my way and helps me find my steps
And sometimes even comes out at night
And I know my hopes are in there
As I turn and silently slip away.
I know that this is the way of things
For the two of us to part one day.

Instrumental.

But my heart will stay within there
With my sunshine and my rhyme
My hope will grow and I truly know
They'll be with you until the end of time

I realize I can't sing any more. While that's no great loss to the world of music, it makes me reluctant to write. Maybe I can do well enough to demo the phrasing and melodic flow for someone with working pipes. But not this one. This one is for my little girl.

Enjoy, if possible.

Last edited by Tangmo; 08/30/20 11:39 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground