I neglected to add one name. If you want a passageway into classical music, I would start with Erik Satie. (Pronounced sah-TEE) His stuff in general is toned down, scaled back, etc....

And to get hit in the face with a powerful, dramatic piece of CLASSICAL MUSIC (capitalized because of the power right from the downbeat in the 1st movement) look at Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" (A Little Night Music). In fact, here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1FSN8_pp_o&ab_channel=HarpsichordM

This is 20 minutes of classical music bliss, in my lowly and humble opinion one of the finest classical pieces ever written. Right up there with Beethoven's 5th Symphony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOk8Tm815lE&ab_channel=F%C3%A1bioFidelix

Beethoven's 5th is a great study because they use a minor 3rd motive and refer back to it over and over and over. Wonderfully written piece of music. 36 minutes of beauty.

I don't know if you have had exposure to the masters, but again in my lowly humble opinion it is important to go back to when this all started. Of course music is older than the late 1700s, probably back to prehistoric times. Somebody somewhere figured out that they could sting a bent stick with a piece of dried vine and twang it. The next logical step is the discovery that the tighter the string the higher the pitch. And it continued to evolve from there.

I don't know if you are young, old, had any music exposure in your life.... It shows that you registered here in 2005 so I should probably rule out young. Tell us more about you. We can probably speak more intelligently to you if you fill us in. You have had some great suggestions so far. My main advice would be to expose yourself to every genre and learn from all of them. I detests rap music for content, but you can learn about production and sound/texture layering from rap. Old school country was a great genre. Then Bill Wills and the Texas Playboys added a little bit more of a swing element. (I SO want to do a country band with a horn section!) Newer age country right after that took a turn toward what because southern rock. Contemporary country of the current time bears little resemblance to the days of Hank Williams Sr. Far more lyrical these days.

If you want to know about funk, you listen to Tower of Power, Earth Wind and Fire, and Average White Band.

So much out there to learn from. It's a GREAT musical world we are in. I am just burned out from it after 64 years of playing.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.