This has been a very interesting thread, but what gives a band recognition beyond that one hit is stability and longevity. Some of these bands are in the Hall of Fame and many have won Grammys. How much more recognition is there?

Also noteworthy is how "my taste" centric this has been. As well as each poster's opinion of what recognition is. I have seen so many bands listed that were hugely popular, and again, what is recognition if snot sold out arenas?

Jim's recent post included America, The Turtles, Commander Cody, Sade, Steppenwolf and Warren Zevon. That acts were all considered heavyweights and again I make the refrain, what is it that you consider recognition that they didn't get? I played a show with George Frayne (Commander Cody) and he talked about arrivals and departures and how hard it is to sustain momentum when members keep coming and going. This is also why I research the bands in Wiki to look at that very thing.

The band on Jim's post that makes this point is Lighthouse. For me personally, with my tastes at the time being Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, Lighthouse was the Canadian equivalent and I LOVED them. But if you look them up on Wiki, my god they must have had 50 people pass through that band. 25 in just the horn players. They did pioneer symphonic rock, which gave us ELO soon after. The Thoughts of Movin' On and their live album I still play. And Howard Shore moved on after disbanding to take the Saturday Night Live music director and score for film, winning 3 Academy Awards for Lord Of The Rings.

And Sade... MORE recognition? An OBE which was advance to a CBE? Sade was huge! She took a self imposed hiatus three times but her career was wide ranging and very successful.

So a lot of "Who didn't get enough" is SO relative. Somebody out there likes Rick Astley, so.....

Last edited by eddie1261; 09/23/20 12:28 PM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.