Originally Posted By: eddie1261
At least with Sonny and Cher, we knew! Which begs the question be asked WHO did Sonny Bono know to get a record deal, much less have Phil Spector produce him, because he couldn't sing at all. (Or ski, apparently.) And Cher, with that sheep tremolo voice, is annoying. And I mean, she married SONNY BONO!!!

Since you asked... According to Wikipedia, he was Phil Spector's assistant, and a successful songwriter and promoter (among other things):
Quote:
Bono decided early in life to become part of the music business, and began writing songs as a teenager. "Koko Joe", a song he wrote at age 16, was recorded by Don and Dewey in 1958, and later covered by several other artists including The Righteous Brothers. Bono attended Inglewood High School, but did not graduate, opting to drop out so he could begin to pursue a career as a songwriter and performer. He worked at a variety of jobs while trying to break into the music business, including waiter, truck driver, construction laborer, and butcher's helper.

Bono began his music career as a songwriter at Specialty Records, where his song "Things You Do to Me" was recorded by Sam Cooke, and went on to work for record producer Phil Spector in the early 1960s as a promotion man, percussionist and "gofer". One of his earliest songwriting efforts, "Needles and Pins" was co-written with Jack Nitzsche, another member of Spector's production team. Later in the same decade, he achieved commercial success with his wife Cher in the singing duo Sonny and Cher. Bono wrote, arranged and produced a number of hit records including the singles "I Got You Babe" and "The Beat Goes On", although Cher received more attention as a performer. He played a major part in Cher's solo recording career, writing and producing singles including "Bang Bang" and "You Better Sit Down Kids".

As for Cher marrying Sonny, she was a 16-year-old high-school dropout who wanted to be a star and he was 28 and an assistant to record producer Phil Spector.

Besides, she says she was crazy about him, which seems to be the usual reason for getting married. laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?