I know Our own Mr. “Notes” Norton, has been playing live for years with a laptop. He keeps a second old standby Lapps ready in case of failure. I personally played with RB as others have said and it worked great for the most part. I did over a three year stretch have about 3 or 4 files become corrupted. So I suggest making sure all you song files are saved in a second location. I like the laptop approach cause as Bob said you can fire other midi instruments. I had mine setup to control my TC Helicon voice works unit for backing vocals and some special effects and vocal processing. The .SEQ files allow chord and lyric scrolling.

I don’t play that way now as I don’t do it often, but when I do, I use an iPad/android app called Jamzone. I have about 120 song files I have purchased over the last year of so. Mostly pop, country and a few real oldies I like that I can play along with. It is simple and effective and can be altered to your needs. You can change tempo, and key, and since it is multitrack you can turn off the tracks you want. It also scrolls the lyrics and chords which is kind of nice for me addled brain.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.