Originally Posted By: musiclover
Billy,

I take it its an online Daw you are after, where you just log in and add a few tracks and then someone else who is in on the project logs in and does the same. Shouldn't that eliminate the problem of latency?

A quick google give me this which seems interesting.

https://filmora.wondershare.com/audio/best-free-daw-online.html

Hi,

Yes, and at the top of that list is Bandlab which may work. I have looked at a few or the others.

There is another payed program call audiomover. It lets me share my DAW with someone else in more or less real time with high quality audio. It also is integrated with Zoom. It looks like the best solution. I cost $100 per year and if that allows someone else to work with me without it costing them anything and they only have to click on a link I send them it will be perfect. I read it is being used by some major world famous producers.

Just a note about latency. Even if two computers are pretty close together, say in the same city, latency can and does change due to the number and type of devices the signal travels through. So a certain amount of glitches can and will happen. There is latency speaking to someone across the room, you just can't hear it.

Your example of me adding a track and then you adding a track is how it has been done in the past. It is how OHM Studio worked.

Programs like audiomover are making real time collaboration with integrated video communication close to as good as it likely to get.

As far as we know the speed of light can not be exceeded. 124,188 miles per second is the speed of light for common fiber.

The refractive index for single-mode fiber can vary slightly based on a number of factors. However, a good estimate is around 1.467, meaning that light travels through fiber at 186,282/1.467 = 124,188 miles per second.

I have not drank enough coffee yet to do the math but off the top of my head I think that is about 8ms per thousand miles.

Until I can round up some test partners at various distances, all this is just speculation.

Cheers,

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo