Hello Mike & Mike;
This topic is perfect for my friend's situation. I am working online with a BIAB user in Washington state, USA. She has a PSR S900 and uses BIAB. We would love to have a great Pat file for the S900 using the higher bank instrument sounds.

We worked with a Cakewalk instrument file
Cakewalk yamaha_kbds_1.22 instrument file

and converted it following the BIAB instructions.
How to convert a PowerTracks or RealBand .ini file, or Cakewalk .ins file, to a Band-in-a-Box® patch map (.pat file)

We started from a Cakewalk file named 'yamaha_kbds_1.22.ins' that appeared to have a rich definition of the S900. There are 5 Yamaha keyboard models in the INS file.
This process yielded a .PAT file that we named yamaha psr s900v2.PAT
We find that some of the Higher Banks are correct many are quite wrong.
We have Not sent it to PgMusic for the Patch page as we found it to have several anomalies.

I'm Happy to share this .PAT file for some diagnostics
Yamaha PSR s900 v2 PAT file share for diagnostics

Any input & suggestions on the Pat file and this process are welcomed.
a) I suppose the original cakewalk instrument file was flawed
b) the conversion may not be complete
c) Certainly it might be on this side of the keys(ME), I may have messed something in the process.

I dont understand your statement >"gs mode on startup". Is that a Keyboard activity?

thanks Roy in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Mike,
Thank you. I have synth set to XG generic.
And I’ve tried AutoSend xg mode on start up.
Even tried patch maps for Tyros an psr3000.

In the end doing autosend gs mode on startup , at least brought up gs drum kits, so I have drums instead of piano, or violins. Haha.

If I eventually work it out, so that drums pop up, I could probably edit one of the xg instrument patch maps to suit the sx. Did one for the pa800 years ago, just not sure I can be bothered.

I was mainly trying to find out if it was just me doing something dumb, or whether there’s a quirk in the keyboard. ( probably just me. Haha)