Bob Calver.
HOW MOST MUSIC/MULTITRACK SOFTWARE WORKS.
(filling gas tanks lol.)
i'll try and use an example. (i'm just a user.)
1. the first concept to understand is real time IS AN ILLUSION.
2. whats really happening behind the scenes is small data buffers are being filled IN ADVANCE OF THEM BEING NEEDED.
3. lets use gas tanks as an example. if you let a gas tank get empty car wont work.
4. now imagine a traditional multitrack software program. 24 traks youve set up.
so we have to fill 24 data buffers. (data buffers are small.) before they are needed.
now imagine 24 gas tanks and one gas jockey , its gonna take longer than if we use more gas jockeys to fill gas tanks. so to fill up faster we need more gas jockeys.
thus the more traks , the more data buffers needed.
5. its important to understand why systems "hiccup". it doesnt happen as often these days because computer architectures have become faster. one reason to use ssd's is no disc drive rotational latency.
one reason to keep windows on its own drive, and have a second drive dedicated to recording is windows wont interrupt to do its own thing.
6. one reason that "hiccups" can occur is the gas tanks (data buffers) arent being filled on time , (the gas jockey is takeing a break lol.)
possibly another procedure has interrupted the filling of gas tanks (data buffers.). this is why hiccups occur on low power machines.
they cant handle the load, cos a user has tried to use a boatload of traks and plug ins.
too many data buffers/gas tanks to fill. not enough resources.
7. given the above (and to quote "sheldon" on big bang lol and spock. its only logical.)
there is an added wrinkle with accompaniement software like biab. over traditional multitrack software.
there is added functionality to be attended to in playing back the users chosen instruments (eg guitars) and chords and other settings.
biab is unique in this regard. in summary added assembly behind the scenes is takeing place in addition to filling gas tanks/data buffers.
("ya mean i gotta build the gas tank fast AS WELL ? lol.)

but STILL real time is an illusion.
STILL data buffers(gas tanks) are being filled etc etc.
its all to do with data buffer assembly.

apologies if i didnt explain too well.

best.
oldmuso

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)