Yes Steve, all kinds of crazy things happen in large companies. Many companies have subcontracted out there IT needs.

IBM came into a large bank and ripped out all the ethernet cable and installed Token Ring when they got the management contract. When the bank got fed up with IBM another company ripped out all the Token Ring and reinstalled ethernet. All the IBM servers and workstations were replaced with Dell. All IBM routers and switches were replaced with Cisco.

This sort of thing happens a lot and all that used equipment gets sold off to people who refurbish it and re sale it.

The idea of getting a $10,000 dollar machine for $3500 is a logical risk.

I got to seriously thinking about buying that sort of refurb. I then decided to go back to the original idea and just build a new machine.

The savings for using a AMD Ryzen does not mean anything to me. They may be better processors but I have never had anything but problems with them. There is certainly nothing wrong with intel.

I have made up my mind to use a i9 intel so the only real question is which motherboard and is the case I had in mind big enough to hold the radiator I want to use.

The other stuff is straightforward...Samsung SSD's DDR4 Cooler Master power supply. Some decision about the best video card for my needs.

Building computers is not rocket science. And anyway, the first thing I always do when I get a name brand computer is format the drive and get rid of all the bloatware.

As to the issue with the current computer, who knows, It is running without issue now, and has for the most part given me no trouble for over 10 years.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 11/17/20 09:48 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo