Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
<< I think that is the mindset of PG, it's like sacrificing development for modern hardware users because of older hardware users ?? >>

And also the mindset of most hardware stand alone multi track digital recorder manufacturers. It seems to be the popular price configuration for both hardware and stable software. The most popular models settle on 8 inputs to create extremely stable units. 8 also seems to be the standard on audio interfaces for physical pre-amps. Tracks have never been the issue even back to analog 4 track recorders.

I think the 8 input thing is mostly a throwback to tape machines and analog mixers rather than for stability. As you mentioned 4-track tape was popular, but so was 8-track, 16-track, 24-track, etc often moving in multiples of 8 (once you get past 4). Same with mixers - most often they move in multiples of 8 channels, at least at the professional level.

Then again, my DDA mixer has 23 mic inputs - explain that one!

(Easily explained - it's modular, and is missing two slots - except if you do the math then it should be 25?)

I work here