We weren't taught the Italian language. My parents used it as a 'secret code' so they could talk without us knowing what they were saying.

They told us we were "American" and have no need for the language of the old country.

That's a shame because as an adult I struggle with Spanish. I can get by with 'baby talk' Spanish, and translator on my phone.

Eddie, I respectfully disagree with your concept of Mexico. There are indeed dirty, impoverished sections and cities, but we have a few of those ourselves. IMO the border towns are not the best Mexico has to offer.

I spent some time in Merida, Oaxaca, Guadalajara, Mexico City, and Cozumel. I found these cities to be as clean as ours, the people friendly and civilized, the food good, and they were as safe or safer than any US city of comparable size.

My grandparents came to the USA for a better life, so I can't fault others for doing the same. I think if we put the penalty on businesses that hire illegals, instead of the illegals themselves, the problem would be solved. If you hire an illegal you get a warning. Second time you lose your business license.

If the low wage jobs weren't here, they wouldn't come. The poor and destitute will come to where there is an opportunity, and brave dangers to do so.

I worked on cruise ships for 3 years, with people from over 30 countries in the crew. Many of them are making money and sending it home to feed a family in a place where there is less opportunity.

They slept 4 to a tiny cabin, shared bathroom down the hall, worked long hours, sent all their money home, and kept their dignity. That is quite a sacrifice to feed their families.

We are lucky to be born in the USA, others are lucky to be born in other countries with opportunities, and some are not.

IMO we have to quit thinking about anyone who isn't like us as 'the others'. I've been to over 40 countries on every continent but Antarctica and I find that at least 90% of the people just want to raise a family and make the world a little better for their children than it was for them.

After all, we Europeans in the Americas are 'the others' to the people who were here before us.

I also find the music from all these different countries and the immigrants that came here have shaped our American music in the most delightful way. I hear elements of many other countries integrated into rock, pop and our jazz music.

When asked what my heritage is, I call myself an Italian-American because I have no better way to describe it succinctly. But I consider myself American because I was born here. I've been to Italy, loved it, met my cousins, loved them, but I'm glad I was born here.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks