I'm pretty much lost when it comes to drums. I know there is a big one with a pedal and some others that surround the big one. And I know there are cymbals on stands strategically located. Finally, I know some drummers even have a cowbell (Mississippi Queen, you know what I mean!) But I really don't know much about all of these percussive thingies nor when to use them.

So, BIAB RealDrums have been somewhat of a godsend to me. I just choose a style and usually use the suggested drums and they just work. But I am trying to expand my horizons into the land of MIDI drums by finally using Studio Drummer and other kits that came with Kontakt/Komplete I purchased a couple of years ago and never really touched.

My biggest challenge is related to my lack of knowledge about drums in general and MIDI drums in particular. So I would welcome any advice or point me to resources you think would help me. I'll warn you in advance, I don't really want to learn deeply about this topic. I'm admittedly lazy and spoiled after using RealDrums and I'd like to get "serviceable" asap!

As an example of what I am asking, below is my workflow and where I get kinda stuck.

• I create new Reaper project set to 130BPM
  • add virtual instrument track to my Reaper project
  • assign Kontakt / Studio Drummer / Garage Kit - Full to track
  • set MIDI to omni (thanks Pipeline!)
  • set mixer to Indie Rock
  • click Grooves to open Groove Browser
  • click Indie Rock folder
  • click the first subfolder at 130BPM (02 Groove 130BPM) and get the following options,
  • - 01 4th Hat Closed.mid
  • - 02 8th Hat Closed.mid
  • - 03 8th Hat Both.mid
  • - 04 8th Hat Both.mid
  • - 05 4th Hat Closed.mid
  • - 06 8th Hat Closed.mid
  • - 07 8th Hat Both.mid
  • - 08 8th Hat Both.mid
  • - 09 4th Hat Closed Toms.mid
  • - 10 8th Hat Closed Toms.mid
  • - 11 8th Hat Both Toms.mid
  • - 12 8th Hat Both.mid
  • - 13 4th Ride Side.mid
  • - 14 4th Ride Perc .mid
  • - 15 4th Ride Perc.mid
  • - 16 8th Hat Closed Cym.mid
  • - 17 8th Hat Both.mid
  • - 18 4th Hat Closed Toms.mid
  • - 19 4th Ride Perc.mid
  • - 20 8th Hat Both.mid
  • I can drag these onto my track and they play great
  • I also have a couple of other folders with 130BPM files and I guess I can actually use other BPMs if they sound OK to me
  • then I notice I have several 130BPM Fills folders with files like this
  • - 01 Variation.mid
  • - 02 Variation.mid
  • - 03 Variation.mid
  • - 04 Variation.mid
  • - 05 Variation.mid

I know I can drag these onto my track in Reaper but how do I know which ones to use in which sections of my songs?

I also bought some MIDI from Groove Monkee because they actually have their drums marked as intro, verse, chorus, bridge and outro so that seems like it will make this easier but I'd still like to know what sort of standards should I apply to choose the best drums directly from Studio Drummer?

Also, I kinda get the idea of fills but where do they go? At the end of sections like intro and verse? And do they go in the bar instead of what would have already been there?

Thanks in advance for any tips, guidance, links, etc.