If you want full control over GM (program / bank change) and good->better sounds I think there are only two software products that will do that as VST that you can get creative with.(except for older, pretty much outdated TTS1 and Roland soundcanvas)

VSTSynthfont, which came with 2020- and hopefully returns for free, at least for the users who had it. It is great because it has small footprint, many tweakable parameters. Accepts full SF2 banks in a single or multiple files. You can get GM compatible SF2 banks at 20 megs or 10 gb... paid or free. Or even build your own.

Halion Sonic. Good, solid set of sounds, especially in full version, nice interface. Downside is tricky to get your sounds in. Almost no 3rd party libriraies. With full Halion I believe you can do it (use your own SF2 banks), but not very intuitively.

There is one other, If I am not mistaken by falconsoft (that does program/bank changes) but not as tweakable and flexible as the two above and development stopped about 10 years ago.