I'm putting together a weird little piece that I hear as a funk/jazz jam. It hangs on one chord for most of the body of the piece. The chord (right now) is a C7#9 which is just about the funkiest chord I can come up with. I might transpose, but for all purposes right now, that's the chord...a 7#9

I'm looking for a chord to break it up for a brief period...something that leads away and then resolves (if that word is even applicable) back the the C7#9. Two chords might work if they (together) perform the same function. More than two will not work. Melody is not an issue at present.

I don't know what key it's in either. It's possible that that the "resolution" may happen more the other way--from the C7#9 to a Root chord (or variant) in some mode or another.

I'm kind of at a loss to decide whether it needs to be something close or whether they need to be further apart, and my jazz theory is woeful. So I thought I might ask some of you jazz-heads for a few promising possibilities.

Graci.

Last edited by Tangmo; 12/26/20 05:13 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground