rharv, thank you very much for your considered and detailed reply. Here is how I work with RealBand that has given me rise to so many issues.

I am running as Admin. Both BIAB and RB start up that way. I've always done this since the early days, I can't even remember why I needed to do this in the first place.

Yes, I am using the feature to 'Make all BB tracks regular tracks'. I've been doing this for a while also, although I'm not entirely sure of the advantages (or at least what I lose by choosing this option).

My temp audio folder was in my Windows Profile area for which I should have full permissions, but I modified this path to that of a TEMP folder in the RealBand folder (although this made no difference to the problems I have been having)

The preference to save files in the SEQ format is selected in my preferences and this has been the case long before the time of my present issues. I've never been able to save a file RealBand as a SEQ file without explicitly including the extension (SEQ). I have remarked on this problem in the past and I got the same response that you gave me. So something is amiss for me.

One thing I did think of was that the file paths to my songs might be too long perhaps. So I changed to a folder at the root of the drive and this is my process with a brand new SGU file in this new (empty) folder.

Having created the song in BIAB and save this as an SGU in this new empty folder.
Closed BIAB

2. Open RB
I open the SGU file that was saved in 1 and the tracks are all generated OK
Audition the song in RealBand and all good (in the sense that it worked, not the character of the song - lol).
I save the file which opens the Save dialogue. The dialogue box shows the name of the SGU file but with no extension, but the Save As file type is listed as SEQ. When I OK in these circumstances I get a message box asking me about choosing Melody and Soloist tracks. This is new to me, it used to just save with no extension. In this message box the Melody Track is set to BB Melody (MIDI) and the Soloist track is set to BB Soloist (MIDI). I have no idea what I am being asked for here so I click OK anyway and I'm given a yellow warning that audio is not saved to SGU and MGU files.
I now look in the source folder and I see that the file has been save as an SGU! It must have taken the name from the title of the original song rather than its filename because that is the name it has now been save as. At least it hasn't overwritten my original SGU.

I delete this recently save SGU file and start again.
Open the SGU file in RB and generate
Save again, but this time append the SEQ extension and click OK.
Now the seq file is saved as expected and all goes well.

Now I change to a different style so that I can add a new midi drum truck (I have done this many times prior to this update)
The new midi track is generated and I like the result.
Now I simply save the song. It does save as an SEQ but I get this error that I made my original post about. This error states that:

Error renaming Grace.SGU.TMP to Grace.SGU.seq

I look in the folder and I note that the TMP file is there OK (not in the TEMP folder where I thought RB was set to hold it). I wonder why it can't rename it. Is it because the there is another SEQ file of the same name there? Surely it should just have deleted it!

I test my theory. I feel safe in simply deleting the original seq file because I have the original SGU to fall back on.
Now I change the TMP extension to SEQ.

Back to RB and select New to clear the existing stuff.
Now I open the newly renamed TMP that is now an SEQ and, what do you know, I have the song as I was expecting it without all this messing about. I audition the song and all is OK.

So, I must have a setting somewhere that is telling RB not to overwrite a file that already has the same name.

At least now I have tracked down the problem (and learnt a few things on the way). Now I just need to find out how I can fix it.

Sorry I've used all this verbiage.

Any further help would be great.

Thanks