Originally Posted By: MarioD
I worked for a large company. They updated all of their computers, numbers in the thousands, a number of years ago. According to our government rules in order to declare them as a tax right off they had to destroy all of them, including the monitors. Such as waste! Many schools systems as well as employees could have used them and all they would have to purchase were hard drives, i.e they were destroyed in house.

Government rules also allow companies to donate whatever they want and get a charitable contribution deduction for it. My guess is they ran both sets of numbers and they got a bigger deduction by destroying them. The reason for destroying them btw, is the IRS "salvage" rules. If the numbers are large, this could trigger an audit if they don't have proof of that. This is an area where it's easy for a company to cheat by not destroying them but taking the depreciation anyway.

Things like this are not as obvious or as simple as it at first appears.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.