Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
Originally Posted By: etcjoe
It is unfortunate that laptops are not built for upgrades, at least not very many are.

Not many, if you're talking PC laptops, and approximately 0% if you're talking Mac or tablets.

Which is quite sad, as it generates a large amount of e-waste that fills up our oceans.

Unfortunately the corporate business model makes disposal more profitable for the corporation than repair.

It's easier to make a disposable product, and when it wears out, you have to buy an entire new one. That keeps the current corporate quarter bottom line up and the stockholders happy.

Capitalism does have many great features, but it also has a few flaws. I don't know how to fix those flaws.

Notes

This is another of those more complex that it looks things. There certainly could be an element of planned obsolescence going on but I'll take the more obvious view. Everybody including you will price shop items to death, right? I know I do. If I can get something for $20 less I will. To make these things easily upgradable and serviceable would drastically raise the price. Would you or any of us pay it when both machines have the same performance? Here's an upgradable laptop for $2500, here's a standard one where all the components are jammed in and it's not feasable to swap out the mobo for $1800. Both have the same components and performance but one is easy to open up and upgrade and the other is what he all have now. Would you or the general public pay the extra?

This is the same equation with the gazillions of items made in China and sold here. People yell buy "made in America" to keep our jobs here yet go online and find the cheapest price for socks, snowblowers, solar panels, whatever and the cheapest ones are all made in China. Where's the buy American/Canadian mantra then? Nowhere.

Price always wins out.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.