Originally Posted By: dcuny
Excellent vocal.

I mean, nice song, clear mix, solid write.

And I love it when everything stops and the horn spins on the B3.

Doubling the tempo at 4:10 is super-effective.

But still... that vocal.

laugh

Man I love those spinning horns too. It reminds me of a band story.... Years ago, I played in a band and the drummer left to go audition for a shot at the "big time" as he put it. Well, he showed back up a few days later with a keyboard player in tow. The big time wasn't what it seemed to be. But we ended up with an organ player for a few weeks. This guy was also a serious alcoholic. Southern Comfort liquor for breakfast kind of guy. Anyway, he had a white caddy and pulled a trailer as large as our band trailer. He had a Hammond B3 and a Leslie unit. Talk about heavy... OMG. It sounded really good and he could certainly play. However, that night that he stood up on his B3 and literally, yelling and cursing at the audience for requesting a song that he personally hated, was the final straw. It didn't help that he also fell off the B3 in the middle of it all..... Needless to say, the club was not very impressed with that escapade. It was a Moose Lodge kind of place and they promised us that we would never play there again or in any of their brother lodges in the entire state. Bad thing was, they paid really well. Jay was fired that very night but the club didn't care. The damage was done.

Thanks for listening to the song and my sad band story tale.

Edit.... doubling the tempo.... its not actually doubling the tempo. That kinda threw me so I went to listen where you indicated. It's a songwriting trick that I picked up somewhere along the way. If the groove or feel of the verse is slow, as this is, you simply put more words in the chorus or the bridge and change the rhythm and feel of the parts..... you can also do the opposite. Make the verses busy and chill on the chorus.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/30/21 08:35 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.