The singer's got a great sounding voice, and the arrangement is really effective at creating a pretty setting.

Musically, this is really nice. smile

But... For my aged ears, the intelligibility pretty low, and I have to struggle to make out what she's singing. The consonants /T/ and /R/ are so soft in places as to be non-existent. In some places the consonants are being swallowed up by instruments.

As I'm not your target audience, I doubt that's an actual problem needing a solution. And to reference back to Greg's post, that didn't really hurt Ricky Lee Jones, did it? And I had a heck of a time understanding what she was singing as well. wink

Edit: On the off chance that you did want to increase the intelligibility (and again, I'm not saying that's something you actually want to do), my first thought would be to do a bit of an EQ cut on the instruments around the 2K range. Unfortunately, that's also where the guitar lives, so that's not likely to end well.

The other option - a bit less intrusive - would be to ride the vocals to bring out the consonants. Or if you're into micro-editing (one of my bad habits) put envelopes around the plosives to give them a bit more clarity.

It sounded like the piano is sitting in the same space as your vocalist. I'm not sure there's a need to double the vocal in the piano, even though it is a really pretty sound.

Anyway, feel free to ignore my suggestions. I'd take feedback from almost anyone over me any day of the week!

Last edited by dcuny; 01/30/21 01:28 PM.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?