Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Funny how subjective preferences influence our ability to hear intrinsic value in music.

Then again, there's nothing wrong with saying that you can't get past how robotic and inhuman the voices sound, and you really can't enjoy the song. If that's the case, that is. wink

Quote:
Its just a matter of time before some producer will be developing a project about an artificial life form who is exploring her self expression through art and music, and you'll be one of a handful of composers who has a body of work to submit.

There are already producers claiming that music represents the "self-expression" of social media constructs.

I don't think we're that close to self-actualized computer programs composing music to fill some existential void.

Quote:
But it would also be interesting to hear a fully synth production: a vocaloid choir performing alongside an entirely synth orchestra. The post-human players.

Well, you've already got that with Hatsune Miku to some extent.

I remember back in the day talking to a local music store owner who was explaining that Madonna had a doubly-redundant hard drive system because all the vocals were lip-synced to samplers, and they needed to be sure there would be no catastrophic failures.

So people are already accustomed to vocalists performing and not actually singing in concert.

Given the cost-cutting measures that have been taken in more recent years, people are already used to the use of using backing tracks instead of having a band.

I'd have thought that there's no need to even represent the band in a Vocaloid concert.

However, the Vocaloid concerts I've seen on YouTube have all had an actual band present. Now, the band is off in the wings with the Vocaloid in center stage, draped in darkness.

But they're there, which shoots down that idea.

I also noted that there's a lot of sing-along at the concerts.

So Vocaloid concerts might actually be the exact opposite of what I imagined. Instead of people going to watch a concert, they're actually there for a massive sing-along/karaoke with a live band, but with a much more sophisticated bouncing ball.

Or not. crazy

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?