Originally Posted By: Birchwood
I was impressed how you 'created' those vocals with Synthesizer V. I hadn't heard from it, looked it up on the internet and learned a bit more.

Hi, Hans.

It's basically the same as working with a MIDI piano roll editor. Most of the default values are pretty sensible, so it sounds fairly good out of the box.

Quote:
Very interesting. I knew about vocaloid, but didn't like it much (till now), but you had to arrange more with the synthesizer V as I understood.

No, it's as easy to use as Vocaloid.

With any vocals, I'll go back and micro-edit them in the DAW. I'll slice up all the syllables normalize all the voiced portions, and adjust the plosives and sibilants. This sort of thing is normally handled by compressors and de-essers, I'm just used to doing it manually.

I'm just trying to make the vocals as even and clear as possible. This leveling is can be done automatically in the latest version of Melodyne.

There really aren't problems with the voice. It's more a job of making it work in the mix. In some places, it might boost the sibilant to make it more clear.

For example, there was a spot where - to my ear - "dream" sounded more like "tream", so I played with the volume envelope. There was another spot where the background voice sounded like it was saying "ton" instead of "sun". That turned out to be caused by a guitar strum hitting at the same time, so the fix was to reduce the guitar strum - the vocal was fine.

But I think Synthesizer V is pretty easy to use. The main complaint is that the only English voice is the "basic" version. In addition to being multi-pitch (giving a better upper range), the non-free versions of the voices also feature "alternate" phonemes, which can be helpful.

Quote:
I work mostly with Melodyne to create the female vocals. That is a lot of work too, but I think less than what you did.

I suspect it's the other way around.

It's an entirely different product, but Realivox Blue is supposed to be getting a full-phoneme upgrade sometime this year. The recording's already done, Mike just needs to find the time to get the work done. Depending on what your background vocals need to do, this might be a viable option.

The main issue I have is that since the Elanore Forte voice is based on a single pitch sample, it gets more and more synthetic sounding as it goes up in pitch.

Quote:
The song itself was not really my taste, however not bad at all!

I appreciate your honesty! Not all songs appeal to everyone, and there's no need to pretend that they do. laugh

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?