Originally Posted By: floyd jane
A good your-gone-i-can't-let-you-go write. A point that might get missed in the rush to judge the "singer" (Sthee-V?).

I appreciate you mentioning that!

Quote:
I could understand the lyric without reading. I thought there was a decent balance between sounds-like-synth-voice and sounds-real..

Thanks! I could probably have "tuned" the vocal to have more emotion, but I was trying change things up a bit in my process and focus on getting something done, and not finesse it to death. wink

Quote:
The music (production) is really well done. And well mixed. Musical.

Thanks again! laugh

Quote:
However (I think you have said in the past "there's always a 'but'...")...

All well there should be!

Quote:
I could not help but think you should be working more in a "modern music world" - where Sthee-V would be more at home. Your BAND is a great classic singer-songwriter sound. (And very well done, I might add, again). IF your musical bed was made up of more current Pop ideas - claps-and-snaps, synth hits/repeats, echo-y massively delayed guitar arpeggios, etc. - Sthee-V would seem the logical choice for the vocals.

I fully agree. Honestly, I hadn't really intended the song to showcase the synthetic voice at all. My computer is in the middle of the living room in a busy household, and I wanted to get working on the vocal. I figured (correctly) that using Synthesizer V would be a good way to get the work on the lyrics, and expected that I'd replace the vocals at some point.

Then I started writing the counterpoint lines, and that sort of became integral to the arrangement. That made keeping it all synthetic a better choice. The last time I tried mixing "real" vocals with synthetic vocals I wasn't that happy with the results. So I figured there would be less disparity if I kept it all synthetic.

And I was surprised how much I liked the breathy "male" vocal. I think it's got a bit of a Colin Blunstone vibe.

Quote:
That being said... your work with the Vocaloid is truly astounding. Cannot imagine how much work that must be. You are to be commended.

I don't want to give people that impression.

It's pretty much the same as working with a MIDI piano roll. And it's pretty cool to be able to draw in the notes, assign lyrics, and have them sung! It allowed a lot more freedom in working out the harmony lines.

For someone who's used to "just" singing into a microphone, doing something like this is a whole bunch more work.

But in my house, I have to wait until past midnight to do any recording. So doing vocals on the computer is much simpler - and more practical.

Getting an expressive performance from these programs is what requires real work.

Quote:
I enjoyed several listens.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it. laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?