Bob, I think you've asked a really interesting question.

Sometimes it depends on the instrument, sometimes the recording engineer, sometimes the recording environment and it can also depend on requirements set by the client paying for the recording. Some examples are given below.

An acoustic guitar is sometimes recorded mono and sometimes stereo. If the musician is strumming and does not want much plectrum sound, a single microphone pointing toward the neck may work better. On the other hand if the musician alternates between strumming and finger picking two microphones may be set up with one pointing toward the neck and another toward the body to better pick up all the frequencies and hand sounds.

Most electric guitars have a mono output but Rickenbacker and some Gibson guitars have stereo outputs. Some musicians modify guitars from mono to stereo outputs. Stereo outputs can make recording easier and give more choices during the mix down.

Someone recording an acoustic guitar in a dormitory likely will have one microphone set close to the guitar so the playing doesn't have to be too loud.

A horn player may have one microphone mounted straight to the instrument bell but a second microphone may be set up to record room ambiance.

Last, a client paying for a session to collect audio for use in creating loops may specify the audio must be delivered at 24 bit depth, 96kHz sample rate, lossless stereo audio files.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home