Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Excellent write, David. I'm still getting used to the synthesized vocals. They have come a long way, and the mail vocal you programmed did sound more realistic, as you pointed out. On this song the vocals didn't get in the way of putting your song across, and that's a good thing.

Thanks, Steve. That was my biggest concern here.

Quote:
Arrangement is nice. At first I was thinking the positive feel of the arrangement was at odds with the sad lyrics. But then the 2nd half of the song cheered up and makes it work. Sort of has a Carpenters feel (and that's a very good thing.)

Any Carpenters reference is a huge compliment! laugh

I wasn't sure starting off with harmony would be a good match for the song. I'd only sketched in the harmony over the first verse because the second verse hadn't been put together yet, as I was still working out the first verse. I intended to remove it from the beginning to give the song a bit more of a build, and I wasn't sure that starting with harmony was a good way to go.

But then I thought of all the classic Beatles songs that started that way, and decided to take a risk.

I was also worried that the drum fills were a bit "big" and made the sound a bit too "pop". But after not having much luck searching through BiaB (I didn't try too hard), I decided to stick with them anyway. On a different day, I might have made a different decision.

Thanks again for listening and your feedback!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?