Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
I'm not sure what I am hearing here but, if I understand it correctly, this is your vocals disguised as a woman's voice and a different male vocal. Is that it?

Not quite. It's all synthetic. The software that I used, Synthesizer V, has an English voice bank called "Emily Forte", which is based on a female voice.

By "synthetic", I mean that it comes from the computer program. The basis of that voice is a human's, chopped up into phonemes, and then cleverly reassembled. It's very much like how BiaB constructs a guitar solo from chunks of audio. Only the phonemes in Synthesizer V are stored in a non-audio format that makes it possible to stretch their duration and shift their pitch and avoid the sort of artifacts you get when you stretch and pitch shift audio.

And like BiaB, the program does all the work for you. laugh

The higher voice - doing the counter lines - that's the "woman's" voice is the "normal" Emily Forte voice that comes with Synthesizer V.

The lower voice - on the melody - that's the "male" vocal, a modified version of the Emily Forte voicebank.

There's an option in the software to change the "gender" of the voice, which basically shifts the position of the formants lower for a more "male" sounding voice, as well as modifying some other values. But the position of the formants is the main factor.

I also changed the "male" voice so it was less loud, and more breathy than the default voice settings.

But it's still the "Emily Forte" voice.

Quote:
I love it. I think the woman's voice is absolutely real sounding.

Thanks! Honestly, Synthesizer V did most of the work.

Quote:
It remind me of Nico singing with the Velvet Underground.

I just had a listen to Nico's cover of These Days by Jackson Browne. I can see where you're making the comparison. There are some vowels that are just a bit "off" from where they should be.

But Nico's voice is certainly a lot huskier than Emily Forte! wink

Thanks for stopping and commenting!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?